Thursday, November 8, 2012

Had My Check-Up Today

I went to see my doctor, Dr. Merriweather, a couple of weeks ago because I wasn’t feeling well.  It was just before Hurricane Sandy hit.  Since then I’ve been feeling better, but Dr. M. wanted me to have a follow-up, so I saw him today.  Seems all the blood and urine tests he had done came back and there were no surprises.  Even the HIV test came back only to confirm what the quick test stated.  

So today, Dr. M. wanted to give me a complete and thorough physical.  After waiting about forty-five minutes to be seen, Ryan, Dr. M.’s Physician’s Assistant had me get on the scale (the same as it was two weeks ago), took my blood pressure (normal) and my temperature (also normal).  Then he told me to undress to my underwear and wait for the doctor.

So there I was sitting on the medical table for about fifteen minutes wearing only in my socks and my boxers and I don’t mind telling you the room was not all that warm.  I mean it wasn’t like it was the inside of my refrigerator, but still, would it have hurt to put the heat up just a few more degrees?  Anyway, Dr. M. eventually comes in, states in on the chit-chat and checks the glands in my neck and looks down my throat before telling me that the tests all came back fine.  Then he asked me to stand up, drop my underwear and cough – the “dreaded” hernia exam.  I really don’t know what all the fuss is about.  I mean doctors must see several hundred dicks and asses a year, so what’s to be embarrassed about?  And I’ve been going to Dr. M. for so long, it doesn’t feel like a full physical if he doesn’t check me down there, know what I mean?  He listened to my chest, did an EKG and all sorts of tests.  Long story short, I’m as healthy as an ox.  He wants to see me again in six months for another check-up.  

That made me think about T.J. – he came home from school yesterday with a medical form.  It seems he’s thinking about joining the school’s swim team and needs a check-up, so while I was in the office, I made that appointment too.

I glad T.J. has started fitting in at school.  I remember High School as being a trying time before I came out.  I was much happier once I did.  I still had to hide my sexuality, but I was able to express myself in other ways; that’s kind of when I went a little Goth – black hair, black eye-liner and nail polish, black clothes.  The only other color I wore back then was a touch of red, for the blood symbolism of course.  Now I cringe at how I looked back then in Grandma’s pictures of me; I was trying to be so cool and brooding, it’s a wonder no one laughed at me, I looked so ridiculous.  Now, it’s tee-shirts and jeans most of the time or casual slacks and a nice polo shirt or buttoned shirt.  I wouldn’t be caught in Goth gear anymore except as a Halloween costume and even then I’d have to think twice about it.

On the Hurricane Sandy front – Diane and Steve have moved back to their respective apartments but Tom and Benny are still with us.  Their apartment building was flooded by the storm and still has no power or heat.  So they moved into the guest room and as much as I love my friends, I can’t wait to have my house back to just me, Ian and T.J. though I know it is going to take at least until the end of next week before Tom and Barry are able to get back into their apartment.  We all must do what we can for our friends, right?

No comments: