Monday, July 30, 2012

I’m King Of The World!

And, no, I’m not about to stand on the bow of a cruise ship any time soon and do my Leonardo DiCaprio imitation.  It’s even better!

Ian asked me to marry him!

Last Friday after Ian got home from work, we drove to his family’s summer house in Rocky Point, Long Island (it’s on Soundview Road, overlooking the beach and the Long Island Sound with a clear view of the Connecticut shore), to celebrate his parent’s 50th anniversary. Everyone was there – Ian’s aunts and uncles, his brothers, Ben and Elliot, his sister Meg, nieces, nephews and all sorts of cousins.  It was a great party that lasted until the small hours of the morning.  

Saturday we spent most of the morning cleaning up from the night before and just after lunch we went down to the beach for a few hours.  Ian and I took his parents out to dinner that evening then, after we got back to the house, he and I went back down to the beach to walk on the sand in the dark.  I love the play of moonlight and starlight on the water.  Not being one to pass up an opportunity to go for a late night swim, I stripped down to my birthday suit and ran into the water.  Ian was a little reluctant, but after a little cajoling, he joined me and we had a lot of fun splashing each other like little kids.  

Since it was late and so dark, we didn’t bother to dress after we got out of the water and headed to the stairs that climbed the cliff face.  Halfway up the winding stairs, there’s a little landing with a pair of small benches.  We stopped for a short rest to look out over the sound and before you know it, we were fucking right there.  And it was Ian who started, which is a little out of the ordinary for him; usually I’m the one who’s a bit randy and adventurous. Afterward, we dressed, climbed the rest of the stairs and made it back to the house.

Yesterday, we were back on the beach, watching the Olympics on our Ipad, swimming and baking in the sun for much of the day.  I didn’t think much of it at the time, be Ian was very romantic and attentive – I just put it down to his parent’s anniversary (he gets a little sappy about such things).  I hadn’t realized what he was planning.  Ian unpacked the lunch he had brought with us while I was taking a last, quick dip and when I got back to the blanket, sitting on top of my roast beef sandwich was a small, black ring box.  I was confused. It wasn’t my birthday and the anniversary of the day Ian moved in with me was two months ago.  In the box was a beautiful men’s diamond ring.  God I must be so-o-o dense!  There was this look of expectant hope and fear on Ian’s face when I looked up at him.  I must have looked as confused as I felt because Ian’s face nearly crumbled when he whispered “You don’t like it?”

“Of course I like it!  I love it!  It’s beautiful!” I said quickly (and I meant it too).  “I just don’t understand why you’re giving it to me.”

Ian’s eyes rolled up to heaven and he shook his head.  “Because I love you dummy,” he said. “Will you marry me?”

I was dumfounded.  

When I recovered from the shock and my heart started beating again, I leaned across the blanket, pulled Ian to me, give him a big kiss and said “Yes!”

He was crying, he was so happy.   I pulled him to me and wrapped my arms around him and gave him the biggest hug I could give him and kissed him again.

No comments: