Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

 
I have always disliked Valentine’s Day – I always saw it as something for straight women.  Let’s face it, there isn’t much to gut a guy unless you really think outside the box.

I always used to buy my Grandma a dozen yellow and white roses for Valentine’s Day when I was old enough to earn some money, and even though she passed away a few years ago, I still get them in her memory, but I never really gave it much thought when it came to anyone else.  Until this year.


Since Ian and I are getting married in 23 days (omg!!!) I knew I had to do something special.  Ian’s most prized possession is his collection of antique cigarette and tobacco cards that date back to the early 1900s.  He has over 1400 of them in mylar card holders in binders tucked away in the cabinet of the bookshelf.  He’s been talking about getting some of the framed so two weeks ago I went to a framer in the neighborhood with a set of cards that depict different breeds of dogs and a few diagrams on how I wanted the cards framed.  Since there were 50 cards in the set, I decided to split the set and have each half framed in exactly the same manner.  I got them back two days ago and they look like they belong in a museum!  Ian was thrilled when he unwrapped them!

As for me, Ian got me a couple of romantic comedies and two tickets for this Saturday’s performance of Barry Manilow’s Broadway show!  I know what most of you are thinking, but he was one of Grandma’s favorite singers and she used to play his music all the time and I grew to like it!  And of course we’ll be going out to dinner before the show.  It’s going to be a great night!

And when Ian and I get to bed tonight, that’s gonna be great too!
 

No comments: