Sunday, February 17, 2013

Last Night's Date

So, for Valentine’s Day Ian got me (us) tickets to see Barry Manilow and the show was absolutely great!  
We started the evening out with dinner at Ruby Tuesdays.  I just love it there; the food is always so good!  Then we walked the three and a half blocks to the St. James Theater and waited on the ticket-holders line for about twenty minutes before we were let in.  Once inside, we checked our coats, got a couple of over-priced drinks at the bar, got a photo book at the souvenir stand and made our way to our seats.  (I decided against a tee-shirt, something I usually get at a Broadway show, because I had a bad flashback to my high school Spanish teacher, Mr. Silverstein.  I couldn’t stand the guy, he was such a Manilow-mavin – he used to wear a Manilow tee-shirt every day!  How ridiculous is that!? All his students, me included, thought he was a joke!)
Anyway, our seats were Center Orchestra, Row J, seats 109 and 110 – that’s right in the middle! News anchor Ernie Anostos was in the row behind us (we spoke briefly after the show – he’s so nice!) and, to my horror, my old high school Spanish teacher was several rows in front of us!  I am so-o-o glad he didn’t notice me.  
Once the show started, I was in heaven – great music and my soon-to-be husband sitting next to me!  
Manilow performed three sets, changing dress jackets each time – first black, then a purplish-burgundy and finally white.  He did so many of his Number Ones, including my two favorites – “Even Now” and “Weekend in New England”.  He also performed the love song from his upcoming musical “Harmony”; it was really good.  There was also a clip near the end of the show from his appearance on “Midnight Special” and he did a duet with himself!  It was great!
The only bad thing about the show was that it was only about 90 minutes!  I wish it could have gone longer!  But I have all his albums on CD, even the bad ones, and “2 a.m. Paradise Café” is playing on the stereo right now.  I really enjoy his music!  
He’ll be performing for the next two weeks.  Maybe I’ll go down to the box office tomorrow and see if I can get tickets for next weekend!

No comments: