Friday, August 31, 2012

An Odd Phone Call

When I got home from the supermarket a couple of hours ago there was an odd message on my answering machine from a lawyer’s office in Hackensack, N.J.  Since there was still a couple of hours before most businesses close for the day, I decided to call the phone number that was left and asked to speak with Mr. Norman*.  When I explained to the receptionist on the other end of the line who I was and that I was returning Mr. Norman’s call to me, I was put through to him right away.

It seems that this lawyer had been looking for me for a couple of weeks on a matter concerning my father.  I told this guy that I hadn’t seen my crappy Dad in nearly twenty years; since he ran out on me and my Mom.  I told him as politely as I could that unless my Dad had somehow struck it rich in Vegas or Atlantic City and was leaving me millions in his will, I wanted nothing to do with the fucking sod.

Mr. Norman assured me that he needed to see me as soon as possible on a matter of great urgency and I reluctantly agreed to let him come by tomorrow, even though it’s Saturday.  I’ve become a little leery of lawyers since Gran passed away, but this guy is only trying to do his job, right?

So I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what my scumbag father left me in his will.  I hope it’s not some cheesy letter of apology for walking out on me and Mom.

* Not the lawyer's real name, I changed it to somewhat protect his actual identity.

No comments: